In our other blog, you read about managed SIMS and the variety of options you can add.
How do fixed or static IP addresses work when it comes to SIM cards and mobile connectivity?
IP addresses for 2G 3G 4G 5G SIMS
An IP address could be described as the identity or address of your device for accessing the internet. The IP Address can be of two types, dynamic or fixed. A fixed or static IP address never changes, it remains the same also when it moves or changes function. Every time the device connects and disconnects it will be using this same address. On the opposite, the dynamic IP address will change each time the device connects to the internet/network.
What is a static or fixed IP address and why would you need one?
Fixed IP addresses remain static. Their use allows two-way communication between the IoT endpoint/device and the organization’s servers. Because the address never changes, you can access your IoT device to get information and connection when needed from the main server site initiative. So, if your IoT devices all have fixed IP addresses, you'll be able to access them at their specific IP address whenever you need them. This gives you guaranteed visibility and control of your IoT devices, as well as complete end-to-end security and encryption.
Dynamic IP addresses are assigned automatically based on preconfigured settings in the network and dedicated DHCP servers (dynamic host configuration protocols), which manage a pool of IP addresses available for use. This type of IP is usually used in consumer and regular business devices and change every time a device connects to the internet. This can make it hard to keep track of devices using dynamic IP addresses. The advantage of it is security and consumer privacy but it is not always helpful within a system of IoT devices where manageability and visibility are important.
Benefits Static IP, Fixed IP
- Great for remote access in order to retrieve information from the IoT device – endpoint
- You don’t have to wait for the IoT device connecting to the internet to get the endpoints information.
- Better visibility and control over IoT devices.
- Complete end-end security and encryption possibilities
A few applications
A fixed or static IP SIM card can be used for many different applications. A few of those are mentioned here:
- The remote management of control systems and devices
- CCTV surveillance and monitoring for mobile and portable applications
- Remote support and maintenance
- Temporary branch offices incorporated into a corporate network
- Rapid deployment offices and remote sites
- Office locations with little or no fixed line broadband capability
- Back-up to fixed line broadband as a fail-over for business continuity
- Access to Cloud based services and applications requiring a fixed IP for authentication e.g. some hosted VoIP services
- Smart metering
- Internet of Things (IoT) applications
- Secure and bespoke mobile networks using private fixed IP address ranges and VPN encryption technology
- Create a single function tablet or computer by restricting internet connectivity to a specific application(s)
At TNF Solutions we are specialized in wireless solutions for partners and resellers in Europe and globally, make sure to check out our solutions for IoT, IoT Mobile, and of course our Partner and reseller services.
Did we miss something in our blog or want to get in contact with TNF Solutions, please contact us.